Thursday, May 08, 2003

RPG Day, or: Sad, Yet Glad

We take a break from Cap’n Shitbeard’s Shit Log to relate the following anecdote of my thoroughly worthless, yet materialistically fulfilling day:

I decided to go to Third Planet today because I’m interested in buying that board game, Carcarssonne. It’s only $20, and it’s supposed to be great, so.

On the way over, I thought, boy, I wonder if the new Dungeon is out? Also the new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? (Note: it has been 4 months since the last issue of League came out.)

At Third Planet, they had the new Dungeon! And the new League! I was psyched. But no Carcassonne. So, I decided to stop by Game Keeper in the Del Amo. When I got there, no Carcassonne. But! The guy at the shelf told me that all the WoTC RPG stuff was 40% off, and all the non-WoTC RPG stuff was 70% off! GK doesn’t have a huge selection, but enough that I felt like a kid in a candy store and got that crazy, excited, ultimately kind of sickly feel you get from pure consumption.

So I ended up buying: Spycraft, GURPS Steam-Tech, Chaos Magic, and 2 copies of Champions (I figure my HERO-loving pal Blackheart will be into it). $150 worth of stuff for like $40!!! It was awesome. In fact, the guy said that all the Gamekeeper stores and WoTC stores are having this sale. So, since I’m not working tomorrow, I thought I might wander down to the Block at Orange....

The New League

the new League is really cool. Anyone else reading this (Rude)? The scene with Hyde and the Invisible Man disturbed the shit out of me. This series hasn’t been as balls-out awesome as the first one... the first 3 issues were a little weak in my opinion, but 4 and 5 have totally redeemed the series. I still think the League doesn’t actually -do- enough about the Martians, since they’re reacting rather than acting, but the interparty stuff in the last 2 has been really interesting. And there’s a cameo by a character from one of my favorite Disneyland kiddie rides, so that’s cool too.

Moore is mighty erudite about 18th-19th century fiction, but I’m really not crazy about all the pure text at the end of these issues. Bring on the pitchers!

Good news, it's a suppository!

I talked to my pops about the bleeding anus and he said it sounded an awful lot like the Petersen Family Hemorroihs. So today I experienced the wonders of first-time Preparation H suppository insertion. Ah, the joy of shoving a cocoa-butter slathered, bullet-shaped pill into your bottom, then realizing that you haven't shoved it far enough... the unsettling feeling of walking around feeling vaguely like Ryan in Jackass with the RC car up his ass... yes sir, these are the salad days.