Wednesday, May 07, 2003

Depresso-Ville

So my dad called and told me that the new owners of our old house just removed the kick ass eucalyptus tree from the backyard. We have estimated that the tree was planted in 1960, and since it's a eucalyptus tree it has a strange acid like substance that kills vegetation around it that is not also eucalyptus, it will be chipped and either a) sent to the dump and wasted, or b) laid out on the green belt in Manhattan for way too rich people to run on. Either way, a depressing end to a great tree that my old cat Sasha used to climb, that Barney, Leia and Amber used to sharpen their claws on, that used to hold my great treehouse, that provided a hiding place within the bark for my hidden stash of lighters and firecrackers, that provided long strips of bark for building tree-villages for Star Wars or GI Joe figures, that also provided huge bark swords for JP and I to attack each other with, that also doubled as a great apartment complex for countless birds and their nests through the years. And best of all, by blocking out all the sun in the backyard, it made sure nothing else would grow anywhere near it, not to mention the acorn caltrops it used to drop all over the yard the the neighbors yards.

I am sad.

:(