Sunday, March 26, 2006

Mechanoramics

They were infact both ME109's and FW190's and some 110's! But in my notes, everything got all jumbly....

As far as mechanics go, it is a dice fest and random events generator for the most part. When decisions are made is when you determine who shoots and where, based on where the fighters are attacking from. And then the real good stuff happens when the fit hits the shan and you need to put out fires, move ammo around, fix systems if you can, drop from formation incase the heating goes out, where to move the wounded, etc. By and large, it's a sit there and watch events unfold sort of game; very thematic, which lends itself to little stories about the game. But I like rolling dice and looking up charts, so it's perfect for me.

One could easily make a computer game out of this, and automate most everything, but I am a traditionalist and enjoy the hands on approach. Infact, I am almost completely off of computer games! Particularly since my new addiction (Street Soccer) has arrived at my house in BG format, I no longer need the java version to get me through the day!

Actually, I have found more and more that I enjoy a game where I can watch event's unfold, and see the story played out infront of me. Regardless if I win or lose, I like to focus on recalling the events of the game, and replaying them in my head. Sure, I get bummed if I am getting smashed to pieces, and I am trying to change that about myself, and of course I am usually trying to win, but I really enjoy watching a game be played just for the sake of watching. You know?

Watching the poor, poor Butcher march behind what he thought was a wall of steel to his utter, and totally one sided demise by the hands of that bastard, Enron, was a terrible sight to behold, but man, I still think about that game in story terms, and replay the battle cinema style in my head all the time!