Monday, August 11, 2003

Ice Lee with the MBA (Master of Booty Access)

Ah, Business school, huh? That’s an interesting plan, and if you want to go that route, then I think you should do it! I still don’t think you should quit your job. Getting into business school is even more long- and time-consuming than getting into college, and you’ll definitely want to have income during that process. Matt just went off to business school (MIT, again), and that process involved about a year of continuous effort. I believe that you also will need references for business school, in which case it’s good to stay in good with yo’ boss.

He also only got into, I believe, two of the schools he applied to, out of around fifteen. Jon Tong also applied to business schools. I don’t think he got into any, and he worked at the -World Bank-.

I’m not saying not to go for it! I’m just saying it’s not a fast or guaranteed process, and you’ll like having money just in case you should, oh, decide you want to take a girl out at some point during the process. You don’t want to be like the guy in “Half-Baked” who has to steal change from a homeless man’s cup just to keep his ice cream date going.

Old School

I agree with Eric and Rudy! This is a day of almost unprecedented harmony and agreement! It is a C+/B- movie, with many A- or even A moments!

My favorite dumb movie quote is from Zoolander, an otherwise terrible movie: “Just because we’re really really good-looking doesn’t mean we can’t not die in a freak gasoline-fight accident.”

Arcana Unearthed (long and geeky)

I love this book. I have read every single word up until page 114, even the skill descriptions.

It inspired me so much I even bought a new set of dice. Of dice! I have so many dice already! (Well, did, until Eric gave them all to Aaron.)

Eric covered a lot of what I like, but there’s more cool stuff:

--The shit is modular: There are no “rogues, but named sneakmasters” or “barbarians, but named rage maniacs” to be found. You really could mix all these classes with basic 3rd ed. Even the ones that initially seem similar turn out to be much different.
--Shitloads of customization. 3rd ed made characters more unique, this continues it.
-There are a greater number of interesting feats to choose from. One of my favorites involves a ceremony where you ritually pour scalding water on your hands. Thereafter, you may treat them like enchantable weapons so you can have craftsmen give them bonuses, elemental damage, and so on. I can think of many feats which, by themselves, give a character an interesting twist.
-The classes themselves tend to be more customizable. For example, the Witch class consists of 6 subtypes which are all radically different; the Champion and Totem Warriors all have subtypes and rules for creating new subtypes.
--Almost every single feat, class, race, and even some weapons has potential “plot hooks” built into it. I have already imagined many adventure ideas.
--Supar, dupar-great spell system:
-Spell levels are subdivided into simple, complex, and exotic spells. Spellcasters are always able to cast simple spells, but may or may not know the complex sets. The exotic spells are very rare and you usually have to take a feat to learn that spell. --No healing bitch. Many healing spells are simple spells. This means that any caster can fill a healing role, although healing is generally less powerful than in standard 3e.
-In addition to the modified power levels Eric described, you can also learn spell templates. For example, learning the War template allows you to cast a spell 2 levels higher to increase the number of targets; the Enemy Bane template lets you pick an enemy race (Iraqis, etc.) and automatically do 50% more damage when targeting those enemies.
--No alignment. Alignment is really built into 3rd ed (consider all the alignment-based spells and class powers). In Arcana Unearthed, it ain’t. You are who you are. I like that.
--There is just so much other cool shit.

Really makes me feel like playing D&D. Ah, I wish we’d gotten to the parts where we got into what your visions meant, and I even had a plotline for when you guys were about 12th level... Brother Simon was really going to have a chance to either shine or totally go up shit creek.

And the next adventure, in Nightsea and past the Starry Gate, was going to be really cool! As it was written, you could have either blazed through it in five minutes or spent an entire night on it. I was really looking forward to seeing how it went. Ah well.

Sorry if I made Eric sad.