Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Hoorah for the firemen

Okay so now that I can not sleep, I will share my temporary insomnia... I woke up about an hour and a half ago to the sound of a fire alarm going off. I could smell the hints of burnt in the air. In my grogginess I looked about in the kitchen thinking maybe I left something on in the kitchen that was burning. Once I started waking up I realized the alarm was downstairs. Then a minute or so later my alarm sounded. D'oh. I went down to the common area to see two of my neighbors talking. Find out the neighbor below had been the first alarm to sound. We all went out side and could see the restaurant below had a kitchen fire burning. Great! One of us called the fire department; I guess we could have knocked... Anyway they came out and another truck came within five minutes. Then two more, including a hook and ladder. Then the Heavy rescue ambulance. Then the fire marshal. They went in and worked on the kitchen for a bit, and then they went in to the neighbor's apartment and extended the hook and ladder onto the roof. At this point we all started freaking out a bit. Just a tad bit scary. Long story short looks like the burner was left on in the kitchen and lit up the place after a few hours of running.

My place smells like one giant fireplace used for slow roasting plastic fans, built up grease and wood, with subtle hints of mangy dog odor. The fire probably burnt in low oxygen for at least 30 minutes before the alarms went off. This has created a nice aroma that I am sure is going to linger in the air for the next week or longer. Yeaaah firemen, boo fire.

Suck it Trebek.

O: yeah Sorny is going to get a bit hurt I think. Consumers are going to shy away for a while and they are looking down the barrel of an estimated loss of $400 on each unit sold at the current price point. Gigantor losses per unit. Worse then the Xbox losses ever were in the begining. The big ouch is the damn Blueray drive AND Hard disk combo. Hard drives are hard drives and never go down in price below a certain price point because of their mechanical complexity and Blueray is appearently very expensive to produce. Although Blueray will probably come down in cost with economies of scale in its favor in a few years, assuming that consumers buy into it as opposed to HD-DVD or snubing both medias. The first Blueray players go on sale soon and will start at $1000-1500/unit. Also, since the PS3 OS is Linux and can easily be hacked, piracy is going to be a major concern in Asia. I think the 360 and Wii are a little less ambitious and are more apt to succeed.

D>M>