Monday, August 09, 2004

O Rugs...

You don't know the story behind the Oriental Rugs? Now, I thought you knew that one. That was a true Rich-ism if ever there was one. Rich and I were on our way down from PV from a bike ride on the GTE trail. We were on Hawthorne Boulevard south of PCH and we ran by a store called "Art, Oriental Rugs". Well of course Rich just made it stick. Now there was a third person on the trip, but I do not remember who it was. It was either Art or Eric.

You know that guy who gave us all that pirated software, I don't know what happened to him. After our sophomore year I think you and I sort of drifted from him. I would be surprised if he didn't end up getting caught in the credit card fraud FBI dragnet in 1993. He was always a wanna-be though. He could get his hands on warez and hot computer equipment, but he would always get schooled by the real crackers that took his BBS down all the time. The rad part was Mike O'shea was on the other end. I mean he was good friends with the guys taking down the BBS. I never forwarded that info on to him. I think his name was Jason.

You know the whole condom thing was a misnomer. For some reason, the first time Eric hung out with us at our house, he swore he saw a condom in our room and instantly got the brilliant notion that we were "studs" and were hooking up all the time. I don't even know where he saw a condom. Weird. So anyway, until he got to know us shortly after, he had that idea stuck in his head. One of those ironies in life. As far as Yoli was concerned, I knew the truth of the matter, but you know Ryan. He would hear nothing of the truth. I think it was one part living vicariously through you and two parts looking for proof that us nerds could score; therefore, he would have a chance too.

Ja -El: be glad you didn't go with us shopping on Sunday. We shopped for Francis for 7 hours non-stop. He pretty much needed all new clothes for his trip. There is a great nerd story to it all though. He has a lot of old ratty clothes that I told him he needs to get rid of or use only around the house, but not for going out. He was unaware that clothes need to be replaced as they fade and wear out. Especially nice clothes. And somehow to explain the necessity to buy new clothes periodically I used the software upgrade cycle as an example of how you should 'upgrade' clothes every few years for compatibility, new features, and stability. Explained as only computer geeks can.

Yawn