Tuesday, April 29, 2003

some addy on biksorz

Hey El Riablo, I got me a bike 4 months ago and did quite a bit of researchin. This may or may not help, but won't hurt. I knew going in, I wanted to buy a mountain bike, i didn't like the speed bikes and didn't want the old land cruiser bikes. My next criterea was that I didn't want to spend $$$ on it, becuz 1) i don't mountain bike, and 2) I just needed to bike occasionally. (to date I've ridden my bike like 4 times) So the best article I found was on e-pinions.com. I'll just summarize the article. Basically there's two places you can buy bikes, 1 is at a retail discounter such as Walmart, kmart, target, or you can buy your bike at a specialty shop. The article deters you from option 1 because 1) retailers in order to cut cost uses the shittiest parts, but makes the bikes look like a million bucks with lots of neat paint and design. Your buying a good lookin piece of shit. 2) it's assembly is in the back of the warehouse, built by some 15-16 year old 10 dollar an hour kid who can care less about the stupid bike he builds. That's why when your buying it from one of those places, it's a crap shoot. some are assembled properly, and some not.

So it goes without saying, option 2 is the way to go. The cheapest bike there will probably run you about 250 bucks, but you'll get decent parts, and properly assembled and well oiled bikes, and most shops offer lifetime tuneups so if you ever need oiling, adjustments, they'll do it for ya. My experience with the shop was great. I went in asking for the cheapest mountain bike, and about 250 bucks I got a 2003 TREK mountain bike.

J.