Tuesday, April 29, 2003

I Found This Review

Hey, Rudy I found this review some guy posted on the internet about his new Trek4300 2003 bike he just bought. Check it out, it might help....

Review: Trek 4300 2003 and Riding to Work

Just bought a brand new Trek4300 2003 model. It's pretty sweet for the price tag. For 350 bucks (including tax), it is a lot better than the walmart brands of bikes that I saw in workmanship and quality of parts. Although the Walmart bikes are 100 dollars cheaper. I'll never go to another department store for a bike again. The gears were hard to shift and you can just tell people slapped them together without any fine tuning or precise craftmanship. I'm not a fan of mountain biking or anything that requires too much physical exertion but luckily I just plan to ride this puppy around town.

Bike Grade: A

On the other hand riding to work was not as pleasant as I thought. The last time I rode a bike was in high school, and my pleasant thoughts were of green front lawns, stop signs, nicely shaped hills, and Mira costa. This morning, however, I faced the onslaught of early morning commute with speeding vehicles, commercial streets and smog and dust that filled my lungs. It was sadly not quite what I imagined it to be.

My goal was to get some excercise every morning. Since I only live about 5 miles to work, I figure I could get there in half an hour. Well that was before I was nearly killed crossing the freeway on ramp, and getting stranded on an island in the middle of a major intersection until an "expert" mexican rider lead me to safety. I pretty much just followed another biker. It was definitely different and a new experience for me. I think I'll try this biking thing a few more times and maybe see if I can overcome these new challenges.

Excercise Value of Biking: A+ (i can really see this getting me down to a good weight)
Biking to Work: C-
Almost getting killed: F