Monday, August 30, 2004

On a non-fart-meat related note:

MAN, do teachers get the shit-end of the stick. Michelle got her masters in education, graduated top in her class and gets paid about $35k a year. Magic bridge! Oh, and if we want to have health insurance for her, me and our baby? We get to pay $800 a month! Yay! The local nurse union is on strike because they might have to pay $50-$100 a month out of pocket for a family of four. FU$&$#&*#$&#$*&*&@@@!!@*&@!

Ok, I feel better now.

While I've encouraged Michelle to do what makes her happy (teaching = happy), I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't be pleased for her to give the system the middle finger and go make $60-100k a year in corporate america with full bennies. But, the noble thing is to stick it out for the betterment of the kids, I suppose. Still.. what a raw deal. It's really nearly criminal the shit teachers have to go through. Last year, our state passed an initiative approving a pay-raise for teachers and most importantly, an increase in budgeting for supplies/equipment. Right now, Michelle has 30 books for 64 students.. and the social-studies book is nearly 20 years old.

So, what did the governor/state do after this initiative was passed? Cut budgeting for supplies and cut benefits for teachers without any pay raise. Magic Briiiiidge!

/rant

I'm going to have a root beer now to cheer me up.

~O.