Thursday, August 19, 2004

Mobile Game Companies

are getting a huge amount of financing these days, ie sorrent. My brother knows a company willing to license games if you can build them. The guy (who is actually my cousins boyfriend) started up a small company hiring 2, Basic C programmers hammering out these little games. I think game royalties are like 99 cents or a dollar per purchase.

I think the biggest challenge lays in making a game that's has wide appeal as there are many many many games out in the market. But at such a cheap cost, people buy a couple of them at a time. I wonder if it's a fad though. In the long term, will people keep paying for small mobile games and eventually replace handhelds? It seems unlikely that Game Boy will allow themselves to be phased out.

Another benefit of mobile games is that it's not just sold here but globally. Imagine 4 bucks not for every handset in america, but in china, japan, taiwan even london.

Big business.