Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Master Fight Tape.

To change the subject from l33t graphics and Johnny's breast-pump mpeg habit, I thought I'd ask about everybody's favorite fight scenes. Specifically, mano-a-mano fight scenes.

I've been working on a writing project with some big fights in it, and I've been thinking that if I continue on it, I should edit together a master fight scene tape to watch for inspiration. So I thought I'd ask for everybody's favorite.

No spoiling any plot points or how big fights turn out for people who might not have seen these movies, please: Johnny, I'm looking at you here!

Mine are:

1. Kill Bill 2: The Bride vs. Elle Driver. A great visceral fight. More brutal and less cartoonish than anything in KB 1.
2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Michelle Yeoh vs. Zhang Zhi-yi (or whatever) in that big fight in the dojo where Michelle Yeoh keeps busting out all the weapons and Zhang just keeps taking her to school. Even when Michelle Yeoh does a somersault while simultaneously swinging two linked blades. Yee-ah!
3. They Live: Rowdy Roddy Piper vs. that other guy: The longest, most brutally boring cinematic fistfight in history... so long and boring that it paradoxically becomes awesome. Will it make my fight tape? No, but it's still cool.
4. Attack of the Clones: Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Jango Fett. By the 5th movie this swordfighting bullshit had gotten a little old. How were they going to mix it up? Have Obi-Wan fight somebody with a lightsaber growing out of his asshole, or twenty monkeys with lightsaber penises? No, they decided, we'll have a Jedi vs. bounty hunter fistfight! Funnily enough, probably my favorite fight in the Star Wars movies. Good visceral factor. That's just a good word, visceral.

Any suggestions?

Cell phones.

Now I realize why I didn't get a cell phone before. I am fucking hooked on that gadget. Now that I actually have one, I see that the potential for cell-phone applications are pretty mind-blowing. Game development alone: charge $4 for a game which takes a month of development time, and sell it to shitloads of people. A few hours of gameplay later, they'll pay for another one. Genius.