Wednesday, January 16, 2008

| My Only Regret Is That I Have... BONE-ITIS!

Wow, do I feel like an old-timer today. I sprained or tore something in my shoulder doing push-ups so I'm gimped out for the day. I remember the days when I could do 500 push-ups and still have the strength to save a bunch of virgins from a flaming building. Now I do 25 push-ups and two days later I can't lift the water filter out of the fridge. Creeeeak.

Oh well, at least I can use my time off today to catch up on my internets!

Hey Johnny, I never answered your question about Onyxia. No, we did not ever beat Onyxia in the WoW card game. What happened was that me and one of the guys in the group wore on each other's nerves more and more during January and February '07 to the point where we almost got into a fistfight at work. Specifically, he continued instigating to the point where I started slapping him. It was a really mature moment in my life. To be fair to myself, the guy was constantly taunting me (he's one of those kinds of guys) a lot at a time where I had been in a high-pressure work situation for over three months. To be less fair to myself, I really shouldn't let such tactics work on me now that I'm older than, like, fourteen. Slapping the guy around seemed like the only course of action at the time, but it was super dumb and I am extremely lucky that I didn't get fired. It's also good we didn't get into a full-on fight because this guy would have fucking kicked my ass. The only good thing about this experience was that it gave me first-hand experience on what it feels like to be aggro'd by the "Taunt" skill and hopefully a little perspective in general. Cue "One to Grow On" theme song.

Anyway that kind of derailed the card game group. Incidentally, a lot of time and apologies later things have settled down and now we're really friendly with each other and a lot more careful about pushing each other's buttons. (With exceptions.) But I still don't think WoW will be happening anytime soon, as honestly, I don't think it's that good of a game. It's almost exactly like Magic if Magic had nine colors and no color crossover possibility, and the distribution of cards is such that takes a lot of horse-trading to build up a pool of cards for your class, even commons.

So, yeah. Onyxia FTW.

Oh and Rude, I've been meaning to get around to giving you a list of good classic Xbox games that are compatible with the 360 (see this list. Don't worry, no awkward stories tied to this, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Of the games on the list, I liked Fable: Lost Chapters a good bit, Jade Empire (which I never finished -- think that'll be the next game I play, actually), Jet Set Radio Future (rad soundtrack too), Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden Black, Prince of Persia Sands of Time (didn't play the others but the first one is GOOD), the Silent Hill games (well 2 anyway), and Thief 3 (probably better on the PC though).

Stubbs the Zombie is supposed to be really good but I haven't played it. All the Splinter Cell games are fun. Unreal Championship 2 (not the first one) is really fun and unique for a fighting game (it's a third person, kinda kung-fu feeling game where you can fly all over the map and shit -- it's awesome). I'd skip the KOTOR games, Star Wars is tired and honestly just play Mass Effect sometime, it's almost the same experience. Teh Haloz are OK, and cheap, and they look a little better on the 360 than on the xbox so it might be worth playing through.

There are two games I'm bummed aren't on that list. Beyond Good and Evil is one of the best action-adventure games EVAR, and Chronicles of Riddick is the best FPS made for the Xbox. I hear they're remaking Chronicles of Riddick for the 360 with some extra levels, actually; whenever that comes out I plan on buying it. It's really good, a bizarre reversal of the usual licensed title phenomenon. Who woulda thunk? Anyway, I don't think you have a PS2, but if you do, they made Beyond Good & Evil for that as well, and it's well worth picking up.