Monday, July 18, 2005

American Retards, again

I doubted Mike Mike Motorbyke, and I guess I got what I deserved for doubting a friggin' doctor, but it is true, horribly true, that there are absolute differences between the UK and US version of the Harry Potter book. I feel cheated, particulary after defending the practice to Denis and Ryan last night.

This website has all the differences from the fist five books, and they are more than I ever would have expected. I guess, there really is no room for an inherantly English book to be sold to the US public without Americanizing it first. Wouldn't want there to be any cultural awareness among US citizens, would we? Eh, wot?

So, now I am in somwhat of a conundrum. I like Denis' plan of ording all the books through Amazon UK, and am considering it. I mean, I own all the hardcover US versions, but I feel cheated. Infact, I just finished re-reading HP5 before starting 6, and I had a paperback version I picked up in the UK, and it was very English. It read like it was meant to read. Then I started on 6, it actually felt somewhat flat, like something was missing, and there was, English culture.

So, again, boo to the United States. C'mon, do we really need to change Mum to Mom, shan't to won't, and jelly to Jell-o? While we are at it, Hogwarts School of Wizardry should be changed to The George W. Bush Military and Religious Academy, Harry to Mike, Hermione to Jane, and Spells to Prayers, and Quidditch to football.

So sad. I think I will sell my copy on ebay and get the UK versions. I'm kinda pissed.