Friday, September 10, 2004

This is a long-ass post, but it's pretty good, I think

The blog looks all screwed-up on my monitor, whassup with that?

i played Neverwinter NIghts, but found the single player sort of uninspiring. The multiplayer component looked fun, though. I'm not sure how well the main campaign supports multiplayer. I did fool around with it quite a bt when I got it.

(In fact, during the time that I was spending a lot of time with the editor, I was listening to these two albums--one by Bob Dylan, one by Yo La Tengo--over and over. To this day, hearing either of those albums reminds me sharply of sitting at my desk messing around with that game.)

Campaign-style play with a GM might be cool. It's easy to build basic maps and stock them with monsters and loot. Scripted stuff is easy for code, but it's still more in-depth than any of us would get into. But if you're planning on playing with set groups you can just hand-wave the scripting and chat out everything.

I'm torn on whether it would be better to use NWN or try something like openRPG, which is a free program whose purpose is to enable tabletop-style gaming; it's basically a chat program with automated die rollers and simple grid maps.

The big problem for me is that since I've since switched over to Mac, I would have to pick up the OS X version of the game and expansions. Like all Mac software, it'll probably be full-priced until kingdom come. So I'd pretty much have to jump on somebody else's PC.

walmart is the greastest hambuger

Remember that cool hexy Hasbro game I mentioned the other day? Heroscape? I tried ordering it through Nerd Planet. When I went in today, the owner told me that he wasn't going to be able to get it for me; it's impossible to get for the small guys because the mammoth guys (WalMart) have all the stock. But he's also not going to be able to stock this very cool-looking game when it is available because (drum roll): the wholesale price of the game is $38. WalMart's price: $39.99. You gotta love it.

If I have to buy this shit through a megachain, I'll wait for Toys R Us to get it.

last thing I promise

I forgot to mention that I stopped by Strategicon last Sunday. The experience literally made me sad. The attendance was the most anemic I've ever seen, with barely anybody walking around. The lobby was like a ghost town. There were plenty of vendors in the dealer room, but besides my girlfriend and I there were about eight other shoppers. It was terrible.

We've said it before, but I'll say it again: it's bizarre that LA conventions suck so bad. WTF man? STFU.

update: Holy shit is that photoshop friday good, especially "Mystery Date."