Wednesday, May 28, 2003

Dungeoneer!

Glad to hear the con was such a hit! It sounds like lots of fun. I’m glad that you guys were into Dungeoneer, as well--when I brought it over to Eric’s I wasn’t sure if it went over well or not. I liked it a lot, though. It’s like mini-D&D.

I had a really good time in New York. I still don’t want to live in that particular city, but there’s always something to do. The part of Brooklyn where my sister lives is great, too--strongly reminiscent of Sesame Street, but without all the scary blue and green monsters.

The thing that made me really mad this morning

From today’s LA Times:

“The Supreme Court narrowed the right against self-incrimination Tuesday, ruling that police and government investigators can force an unwilling person to talk, as long as those admissions are not used to prosecute them.”

... Justifying any kind of behavior the cops want to use on, say, Rudy, should they want information about me. Or, more likely, on some dude named Tahib about a guy named Rajiv. This decision was of course supported by the Bush administration.

This kind of thing scares the shit out of me. We are starting to cut into Miranda rights here. Good/scary article if you have the Times.

And did anybody hear about the Amnesty International report? They’re saying that the world focus on “security” is destabilizing the world and increasing the number of human-rights abuses. Not a big surprise.