Monday, March 24, 2003

BattleTech Hell

BattleTech was some boring shit. OK, it was pretty funny when Eric's mech got shot in the face and instantly killed on its second turn, but after that, it was all downhill. The bulk of the game was a grinding war of attrition, and it didn't really impress me. There was too much damn number-crunching. So, I don't think anyone was converted. Well, I didn't get Laurie's opinion. But she didn't seem super-psyched.

Not since some of my grimmer convention experiences have I welcomed character explosion with such open arms.

The cool thing was that Peter's roommate Chris actually designs miniatures for the game. And, IMO, they are pretty cool minis. Lots of fuckers dig this game so he'll do all right. It would seriously be rad to get paid for artistic effort.

And it was pretty cool that Laurie brought her Transformer which changes into a rat with a human head in its crotch.

This weekend I spent a fair amount of time copyediting the proofs for "The Cannibal Zombies of West Los Angeles." The biggest part of the job was looking at all the changes the editor made and deciding whether I liked them or not. The things I didn't like, I sent notes back on saying, "Please change this back to the way it was," or, "I like that you changed this in theory, but please change the wording to this instead." Last night I sent off the second and hopefully final set of corrections. After that it's publication time, and fame and fortune awaits. Oh, wait, it doesn't. But, a couple hundred bucks awaits, anyways.

Wow, writing about convention experiences a few 'grafs ago totally made me think of the rooms outside the Hyatt/Wyndham where the old-school D&D games were, and the constant planes overhead and all-permeating smell of jet fuel. And that guy Steve who ran the RPGA games! Ah, good times.