Friday, September 21, 2012

| Good tips (sweet tits)

I'd also add that your FIRST and IMMEDIATE priority has to be getting a 2-layered shield up and running.

It isn't often, but there are times when you should sell off items at a store/vendor site to purchase a powerful weapon / buff. In particular, if you run across the pre-charge buff that allows you to pre-power as many weapons as you like before jumping to light speed. It's usually around 110 quid, so I try to keep above 100 in cash on hand as I move around star systems (after the first two systems which are more or less spent in a frenzy to upgrade the ship). The Pegasus missile system (shoots two missiles at a time) is HUGE for getting past enemies with a defense drone.

Your crew will specialize if you leave them in one station while you battle... and you will receive very powerful buffs for them as you progress through the game. In particular, the pilot and engine rooms, weapons, and shields.

Be aware of your crew members' strengths and weaknesses. Some are great at support, some are awesome at fighting. As Eric said, don't be afraid to let boarders wreak a little bit of havoc while they're on your ship. I like to rotate crews in and out of the fight to wear them down. It helps a LOT if you vent the bad guys' compartment to space and weaken them or outright kill them.

Dont take anyone for granted. I've been killed by average enemies many times now because I didn't max-out my attack to solidify the upperhand (at least early on in the fight). If you can get enough fire on target to destroy their shields and weapons systems, just keep pounding them. If they don't have enough weapons to hurt you (enemies without missile systems are a prime example). Target their shield system and keep pounding it until they blow up.

Things I'm curious to try out: If you kill a crew / capture a space ship mostly intact, do you get a scrap / systems bonus on your salvage attempt? I dunno. I need to practice fighting with the teleporter. I haven't really done that at all.

Regarding the final boss level (SPOILER ALERT): Yeah, that's a bitch. I've only been there twice so far. I think there are multiple fights with the final boss. The first one I now think is pretty easy. Basically take down the shield generator and then pound away on weapons control, keep going back and forth. The second one (after you blow one "wing" off) is where things got hairy for me. He sends out a SWARM of drones to attack you and it swiss-cheesed my ride badly. I think this is where I either need overwhelming firepower to neutralize the drone control room immediately, or need to get good with the teleporter so I can send in crew to disable it. Then, I have no idea what's next. Will probably take a failed attempt or two at the next scene (or for however many there are?). One thing is for sure, beating the "EASY" level is a bitch. I can't imagine making it to the end on Normal, lol.

I can't shake the feeling that there's something fundamentally missing in my FTL skillset that would make "Easy" EASY and "Normal" just sort of a challenge. I dunno.