Friday, August 03, 2012

| Punk Rock Memories

I almost made a memories = mammaries joke, but then I thought better of it.

 - Tony Sly.  Sad.  Welcome to old, everyone!  A quick Wikipedia look up proved fairly inconclusive if it was Tony belting out 'DMV' on Incognito or not.  Either way, sad, and while I liked NUFAN they never really hit it out of the park for me.  However, their video for 'Soulmate' on the Cinema Beer-te tape has made an indelible mark on my punk rock memory banks.  Girls, beer, snowboarding, tattoos, and punk rock - a recipe for happiness to my 20 year old eyes and ears!

 - Handshake.  I get what he's saying, but the choice of words and delivery "DO Miss the Train" (RIP - NUFAN, self-referential post ftw!).  Even if it proves to be the greatest song of our times, it will always be a joke to me because of the visual treatment the UCLA Krew gave the lyrics "shun the handshake" at the end of the song. Good times.  Speaking of UCLA, remember when we stole a campus golf cart, spun it out, slid the rim out from the tire and left it wedged sideways down a walking path a la Austin Powers, then fled the scene?  That was some total First World Punk Rock Suburban Shenanigans right there, yo.

 - Speaking of ridiculous songs, I think lyrics on the first Face to Face record were a bunch of nonsensical, garbage that essentially were a collection of soundbites mashed together to try and make for a compelling song and make it's listeners believe there was more to the band than there really was.  Fast forward 22 years, hindsight proves that Face to Face were simply on the forefront of what their fans would all grow up and understand as 'Management Speak'.  F2F did it better because a) their songs kick ass, and b) you only have to listen to the F2F Management Speak for 2.5 minute chunks rather than 1 hour conference calls or 2 hour meetings.

 - JP Can't Come Over, Holophrastic, One Beer Mary, Joltergeist, Misguided Youth (ugh), were the Isotonic Fucks ever a name the UCLA Krew used for a band?  Or was that on a band name sheet I found in my garage?  Along with The Hans Olos...

 - Leslie's out of town this weekend, any takers for some "Face to Face" (double self-referential post!) gaming at my place Sat to Sun?  WARNING: there may be handshakes to be shunned.