Thursday, June 19, 2003

Game Review: Iron Dragon

I'm aware most of you have played this game. But I was just reflecting upon the intricacies of the game when suddenly I realized excitedly that I have to give it a review plus I am incredibly bored at work. You've read the recent game synopsis that Aaron wrote about "games day" with us playing agaist the Wily old veteran who tried to help us master the game within 2 hours.

Despite that ordeal... I really had fun with the game. I think even though the wily veteran was annoying, he provided the insight that I needed to have fun with the game. And seriously not knowing these simple tips really turned me off to the game when I first played it years ago at the Wyndham. It was not a hard game to learn but it was a hard game to play. I was notorious for running out of money and was incredibly inefficient. Having said that, I know now, that it was less my fault, but rather the lack of someone explaining the simple "unwritten rules" that makes the game go. I think when the rules are explained these tips should be given (and a few examples)
1) you can't be afraid to change the buildmaster. Do the math. I think I saved 10 gold on one build turn.
2) some tips on choosing runs: First, look for same cities, then look for cities near each other. Theres always optimal runs. The trick is to find them without being a Paul barr.
3) Look for optimal builds and routes.

That's it.
Iron Dragon: B
Played in 2 hours if possible: A

Jael