Sunday, January 12, 2003

Greetings from Engerlan!

Ok, so officially airplane air-condintioner's suck because they always give me a sinus infection! Blegh. I've finally got shit together here and can actually make good on my promises to stay in touch more this year. Right now it's super frosty here, (no snow though) except for the snow which caused my flight to be four hours late and then was gone by the time I arrived -- doh! I've now unpacked and listened to Andrew W.K. about 300 times, played a bit of IceWind Dale II and Hearts of Iron (Hemo and Ja-el, check it out -- seems like super complicated Axis and Allies -- with, count 'em, seven different resources to maintain control of --- super cool, and very, very good for my PhD completion hopes. I'm afraid that I cannot take the vow of computer game chastity because, let's face it, I don't have any friends here except for Andrew who plays more computer games than all of you put together. I would also point out that IWD2 has the ability to be played over the internet, with each player taking a single member of the party -- perhaps even better than web cam D&D!

Ryan, good to hear from you! Sorry that I didn't get a chance to see you during my visit.

So, it's been only a couple of days back here and I already miss LA, even with it's allergy inducing Santa Ana conditions, smog, and snotty MB inhabitants (not you guys of course!) I'm already getting a craving for Mexican, and wondering why I ever left -- in fact, I was wondering that before I left. Don't go Jon! It's not worth it!
As for chicken, well, since my other option here is Mad Cow Meat, I think I'll stay with chicken -- this despite the fact that British farmers keep their chickens penned up in cages so tight that they can't move -- keeps the flesh tender when the muscles never get used. shudder Er... maybe I'll be looking into that vegetarian lifestyle after all.

So far, no Formal Hall events to report. No paintings destroyed with bakewell tarts yet this year, but I'll keep you all informed. Ah! Drunkeness!

As for the Blood Bowl reports -- they are true, Dennis and I played two Back to Back games the other day, while Eric painted and wept for joy. Reports indicate that Blood Bowl is actually for sale in normal games workshop stores here -- more reports to follow. Andrew and I are considering getting a set. Skaven are unfortunately still AWOL, and didn't come with me to England as was first thought. The search continues...

Football