Wednesday, April 25, 2012

| MR and Fez

When I played solo, and with Peter and Denis, I thought MR was a lot of fun. It was esoteric, cryptic, complex, and bizarre, but in a very mechanical and somehow logical way. Each turn was like a puzzle to figure out and I began to get in a rhythm until something new popped out. I never played with natives or magic, just the basics, but I do recall having a lot of fun figuring it out with Peter and Denis.

 I also listened to that Bombcast and was enthused about Fez, and then I bought it and played it - less enthused. Not because it isn't charming and clever, but all the stuff the Bombers were talking/alluding to I will probably never see because my job is not to play games all day. I don't think I will be able to invest the time to actually peel the onion and get to that crazy shit. I also had a TOTALLY different minds-eye picture of what Fez would look like based on the Bombcast description. Given their adoration and total mind-blowing revelation-laden description of the depth of the game, I was not expecting a goofy fantasy land "side-scrolling" puzzle game, with a twist.

 It's fun, and I will still tinker with it, but I don't think I will get to experience first hand the weird Celestine Prophecy a-ha moments everyone else will.