Sunday, July 22, 2007

| Snape Rapes Malfoy

(Minor spoiler about the structure of the book I guess, but nothing that's a surprise if you've read Book Six.)

Yeah, this is a really fuckin' good one. I'm on page 250 and there were just like three big twists all within about thirty pages, all with increasing ratings on the Daaaaaaaamn!-o-Meter. I don't think it's so much written to be a movie, as that there is little time for the introspection and school hijinx that have been the hallmark of the earlier books in the series.

The sixth book was a little like this too, but it still had Hogwarts as a framing mechanism, so even though it was more desperate and stripped down, especially at the end, it still felt familiar. This book is off the leash much more than the others.

For the first time ever in the series, I really have no idea where the characters will be in 50 pages or in 250 pages. To paraphrase Nice Guy Eddie, there's a sense of "I don't know who's shot, I don't know who's not."

I'm enjoying it!