Sunday, July 02, 2006

I think the weirdest thing for me was realizing that I was as old as my parents were when they had me. I think that is what hit home the hardest.. not in a bad way, necessarily.. just in a weird relativity way. Also, the realization that Haylee will never know me as a young person was a bit of a mind-screw. I will always be "old dad". Weird/funny.

Other than that, I really didn't care much about turning 30 as I drove down from Washington on a road trip with Eric and Aaron to begin a new adventure in Las Vegas. Age isn't anything but a number. Granted, my body is failing me slowly but surely.. that's no fun. But philosophically, it just didn't matter to me really. Outside of the "kid" thing, the weirdest part is fumbling around mentally for a few seconds to try and figure out how old I am when someone asks. Even though it's true, it still feels like I'm pulling on a Halloween mask every time I tell someone I'm 30 or 31, or however the hell old I am.

18 with 13 years of experience.

Yeehaw.