Monday, January 09, 2006

Greetings from Professorland

So, I'm sitting in my new office at UCLA (which I share with others, and is apparently the office of yet another person who is on some sort of teaching sabbatical. As yet, my name is not on it and there are no external signs that I have any ownership of the space at all. However, it does have several baby carriers toys, luggage books on Chinese history and culture, and golf clubs in it, so I suppose that that is all a plus. Anyone want any of it? Not even the talking 'Peek-A-Boo Zoo?' Ok. Oh, and I can't open the window either. Great.

No, I haven't arranged my flight yet (come, on, it's me we're talking about.) When would be good to get there on Friday 13th (shudder)? I can't imagine that I'll be able to leave earlier than about 3-4pm. Will someone be able to get me or do I have to take the train again? Should I go to the same place? I really shouldn't be going at all with the amount of nonsense I have to get done, but I'm trying to rationalise it and certainly want to. Maybe I can send my minis with Elrock so I don't have to carry them on the plane.

I was at the American Institute of Archaeology conference from Wednesday till yesterday. Had several interviews with important places for good jobs. Mananged to look like a complete idiot at only one of them - others, well, fingers crossed - who knows? Have to fly away for another one next weekend (hence the worry about what I've got to do as I have to give a paper at that one too!) Basically, I'm totally knackered. Conference = tons of stress for three days + not enough sleep + drinks once interviews were over + long flight back from Montreal on one hour of sleep + having to complete today's lecture yesterday + lecture today = EXHAUSTION. Still, wish me luck, ok guys?

Elrock, I'll ring you when I get home today to coordinate. Maybe I'll even have a flight by then.

Dr. Myke