Monday, September 13, 2004

OK, I spent some time playing around with the Mac version of NWN today. It works, and it looks good, but... the Mac version doesn't come with the dungeon-building toolset. Uhhh... that's a big part of the draw there. You can still DM, you just can't make your own maps.

But! There's a robust fan-made Mac version of the toolset in development. It seems like it has a fair amount of support from Bioware. However:

Holy fuck, it is a fucking goddamn night-fucking-mare to install that fan-made piece of shit. I mean, JFC, and I don't mean "Jonestown Fried Chicken." In the readme is a list of like eight Python libraries that you need to install. There are no directions on how to install them or anything, and no FAQs on the subject to be found. After going all over the internet downloading libraries like I was on some fucking scavenger hunt for assholes, I started trying to install them and within 45 minutes had a blazing headache in the middle of my forehead and had gotten nowhere. First of all each of these libraries come with zero information on how to install them. Never mind that each one of them needs special command-line parameters which there is zero documentation for. The really aggravating thing is that installing each one of them is apparently dependent having installed all of the others, including the one you are currently trying to install. "You cannot install python.stfu without first installing python.fux0r. You cannot install pythonfux0r without first installing python.ass.hat. Did I mention you cannot install python.ass.hat without first installing python.stfu? HAHAHAH pwnd!"

So fuck that shit. I could still run this shit but I might need someone's PC to build maps. It's a real quick process and I don't smell bad or leave hand sweat on the mouse.