Friday, May 16, 2003

An interesting event

So Wednesday morning I'm truckin' to work, going east on 190th, approching Flagler (where there's the four-way stop at the top of the hill). I pass by a motorcycle cop giving a guy a ticket. Then I stop at the intersection. It's busy traffic and I'm about third in line at the stop.

Whee-oo, whee-oo! The cop hits his lights and roars past. By the time his bike passes me he's built up enough speed so he's going 30, 35 maybe.

He pulls into the intersection. I can't see into the intersection because there's a car and a truck ahead of me, but...

WHAM! That horrible, nerve-freezing sound of one vehicle hitting another.

Over the roof of the truck ahead of me I see the cop flying into the air, laid out horizontally. He then drops below my line of sight.

I pull over and get out. Everybody else is doing the same. "Don't move him!" etc.. He's lying in the intersection on his back, the Acura that hit him is stopped and its front is all crumpled-up with the bumper hanging off. The bike is on its side way on the opposite corner, gas leaking out, still going "Whee-oo, whee-oo." The cop's paperwork is scattered all over the intersection.

I'm shaky and sick. I kind of walk up to the cop, but there's lots of people around him already, so I just kind of hang out for a while. After a couple minutes a fire truck, several cop cars, and an ambulance come up. Eventually, the cop manages to get up. I don't see if he gets into the ambulance or what. People are standing around talking about the accident and I think about passing on my advice I learned from NYPD Blue, that witnesses shouldn't talk with each other before giving their statements.

A cop tells me to stick around, so I do. Eventually another cop walks up and starts taking statements. At this point, a heavily-bearded homeless guy dressed in camouflage comes up. He's walking some kind of teeny mixed-breed chihuahua which has longer fur than usual. It has a huge, half-erect cock. As he approaches us, I notice the dog is making a buzzing sound very similar to those "cow" cans that you turn upside-down and they buzz at you.

"He starts chokin' on the leash sometimes," says the guy.
"You should carry him," I say.
"Bzzzz," goes the dog.
"Yeah, I do carry him sometimes," the guy says.
"Bzzzz."
"Well, come on," the guy says to the dog. "Come 'ere, Froggy. Let's go, Froggy."
I ask the cop, "I was third in line. Did you need my statement?"
The homeless guy walks off with his dog.
"Nah, not really," says the cop. "We've got plenty of other witnesses."
"Oh, okay," I say.

So then I went to work.

Anyway, that's what happened.