Thursday, January 30, 2003

Work Was Poo Today, Hence No Updates

Jael, I must say, I disagree with your assessment of why Blood Bowl is for the most part, unpopular. As far as success goes, it was a successful game, I mean, it made it to 4th edition and has spanned over ten years of off and on production with two full miniatures ranges. My thoughts are that it "never quite caught on" for two reasons. First off, it is a collectable game in so far as you only need 11 miniatures to play, and if you want you can collect other teams. But if you don't want to "collect", you only need 11 miniatures. I think miniatures players like buying more and more stuff for their army to tweak it out and make it extra-hard. That brings me to my second reason, GW realized that you didn't need more than 11 miniatures per player, and stopped supporting it in favor of 40K or Warhammer where you need anywhere from 50 to 200 miniatures to play, per army. Also, those two games re-write their own rules as new armies are released, with the newest army being the most desireable with regard to "spiky bitz". BB, I feel, is a strong enough game, as does the designer, that to release a new team that significantly changes the rules, is not in the best interest of the game itself. Case in point, there is now a yearly review to see which "new" teams and rules become official, and which stay as house rules. That tells me that the elegance of the game is important to the designers, and to the new supporters of the game (Fanatic).

I could go on and on with my BB talk, but I won't. Bottom line, if there is ever a game that both Jael and I enjoy on the same levels, I think you will have the perfect game. Therefore, if we can sidestep killing each other over rules disputes, we should make a game together, cause if we did, it would be the best game in the world and everyone would play it. Even Rudy.

NOTE TO MIKE: Sorry about laggin on the JavaBowl stuff, work has been heinous and I just haven't gotten my shiznit together enough to make the "kit" I was talking about. Say "hi" to Hagrid for me.