Friday, January 31, 2003

tired.... sleep

Just fyi, my intentions are purely conversational and not trying to detract from any aspect of BB, because I find something about it appealing (can't pinpoint what yet). Also just to add, I owned 2 copies in my lifetime. soo no harm no blood..

My definition of success was more of an appeal to the mass public sense. Popular successes such as monopoly, Risk, trivial persuit, Settlers of cataan, Magic, etc. Blood bowl is definitely not in this category of success. However, that is not to say that BB did not have it's fanatical following among it's fans and was immensely successful in that sense. As the number of edition goes, 3rd reich had 3 editions, Axis and allies had 2, Kingmaker had 3, most avalon hill games by and large had 1 or 2 editions put on. It's a better indicater of a need for major rule changes and not mass popularity. Revival of the game is more of a credit to the hardcore fans in keeping the game alive than letting it die to the wayside.

The reason why it never achieved popular success, which I think my whole point was that I think it could have, was that it was a collectible miniature game. You only need 22 players to play (the starting figurines) and I guess you can have some fun, but like every GW game, eg Space marines, Necromunda, 40k, Warhammer, you need variety to really have fun. How fun was space marines to play with land raiders, a few rhinos and bunch of infantry? Although granted you didn't need a whole lot like 40k or Warhammer, you still needed, Such as more team varieties, dwarves, elves, snotlings, halflings, chaos, undead, star players, refs, cheerleaders, fans, etc etc. I don't think BB fans likes to buy more to have fun, but rather they need to.

Anyhoo, sleep depravation is good.
J.