Monday, May 11, 2009

| Teh Kooblarz

1) GW con is mostly fine by me, with the exception of Necromunda. Unless I can use my useless AT-43 guys mixed with some of my Warmachine stuff... now that I think about it, not a bad idea!

2) Chris, a dude from my work, is coming to the con on Saturday with a friend of his. He is somewhat of a gaming virgin, but played a lot of video games growing up, etc. He's 24 and TOTALLY fired up to play some D&D. I have him listening to the D&D podcast, playing WoW, and we played a lot of Hive and Kingdoms on the plane to Dallas for our last business trip. He's a nice guy, so be kind you unwashed heathens.

3) I went to Dallas for a business trip.

4) Played a lot of Hive, which I really like more and more. It is just the right mix of speed and taxation on the old mind grapes, which I like.

5) Addicted 100% to Plants v. Zombies. Beat it tonight, so the fever should cool down shortly. WELL worth the $10 through Steam.

6) Also picked up Dark Spire, per the AT recommendations. Some of my characters are 3rd level, but the thief is still low 2nd because the game is clearly sexist and she dies like every other fight, AC 5 and all. It truly is an old skool RPG - so much dying, saving money to rest properly and resurrect, etc. I have crappy weapons, crappy armor, can't afford enough of anything, and the dungeon repopulates in almost the same places with wandering monsters (damn you 6x Thieves!). Despite the advances to gameplay we have witnessed over the past 20 years, despite the nuances, the elegance, the subtlety, the narratives, I am still drawn to this sort of mechanical RPG experience. It is totally the fundamental, lowest common denominator reason that WoW is so successful: I just want to play a little but longer JUST to possibly get some more gold for my next rez, or maybe find a leather helm, or maybe...

Good stuff. I am throwing my hat in the 'recommend' ring for this one.

7) I am up for some BB, too. I wanted to paint and bring a new team, but who are we kidding. Anyone interested in playing the full day 3 game ranked and sanctioned tournament on saturday?

8) Talisman? Sure! Maybe someone will foolishly pick up the two expansions, and 4th - Revised edition upgrade packs while we are at it!

9) Rock Band: Metallica? Exactly like you would expect it to be. If you are a fan of the band and they had some not so small part in molding your adolescence, then pick it up. Otherwise, no big loss.

10) I have played A LOT of Space Hulk at work during lunch and it really doesn't get old, against the AI anyway.

11) BSG? YES PLEASE!

12) I am taking Kubla-Friday off from work so I can spend a the morning with Wylie and take him to pre-school before I drive up, so I will be in Kublacountry early afternoon.

12) Anyone want to go all frenzy on my RPG books like some of you did on my boardgames last year? I am tempted to get a flea market table but fear the books will not sell as well and I will a) need to heft more actual weight and boxes to make less money, and b) feel sad if I don't make (recoup the sunk cost, that is) as much as I did on boardgames last year. Anyone been salivating over anything I own?

13) 30 Rock, anyonw? It's as close to Arrested Development as I can get right now and I really like it! Of course Leslie and I have watched both DVD seasons in like a week, so now we are sad there is no more...