Monday, December 11, 2006

Jon, the game is a horrible money sink like Magic! It's the devil's tentacled spawn. Mmmm tentacles... Run for your life!

I assume, you're only playing with the starter deck. The play won't be as varied and focused. So like Magic, the game forces you to spend your grandchildren's inheritance on boosters like sweet, sweet heroin. Good thing the shortage is keeping a rein on my spending. Once you customize your deck though, playstyle should be different.

I like the fact that there is a wide variation of deck construction based on the classes. The only problem is that many of the class specific abilities are uncommons and rares. This is basically an open invitation for Upperdeck to slip its hand into my back pocket and tenderly cup my left butt cheek as it empties my wallet.

I originally tried making an all night elf deck with the hunter. Unfortunately it didn't do too well, so I was forced to put some dirty, dirty dwarves and gnomes in the deck. It's a weenie deck with mostly cheap allies and abilities filling in the rest (not many hunter specific ones though). No equipment (I don't have enough copies to make it worthwhile). My deck is too big (80ish cards) so results have been hit or miss depending on luck of the shuffle.

Eric and I tried the raid deck last night with our regular PvP decks. The results were just like the video game; that is a two-man raid group versus Onyxia. It wasn't pretty. I think at the end there were around eighteen dragon whelps feasting on our carcasses. The interesting thing about raid play is that deck construction has to be modified to work as a group. So cards that one wouldn't normally find useful are seen in a different light. Bringing us back to the fact the Warcraft has found another way beat me up for my lunch money.