Sunday, September 24, 2006

Terrified

1) The amount of inaction in the action team. Did everyone die concurrently? There must be an evil nemesis picking us off one at a time to defeat the league. Quick, Muster! or Mustnerd.

Ok. The real terrifying story
2) This weekend, at the MCDonald drive through, my car emits a fury of steaming smoke from the engine. Quickly jetting off the ignition, I sat there thinking, "man, this ought to be real good". Stranded about 10 km away from home, 9:30 pm at night without any possibility of a nearby mechanic shop and the inability to fully communicate. Bust out the butterfly knife and we got a gang fight. Anyhow, took me about 1 hour to get home, starting and stopping, so the car wouldn't overheat.

Turned out to be a huge leak in the hose and all the water drained out from the radiator.

The great part
The mechanic shop I went to is perhaps the BEST little undiscovered shop in the world. I always thought that Philippinos were poorly equipped, unskilled, unadept novices that can't afford the right technology at everything which caused subpar workmanship in everything. While that may be true in many cases i have encountered, this shop has really proven me wrong. It's not a matter of nationality, poverty or ability. It's a sheer matter of discipline and scrutiny in detail. I wouldn't say that these mechanics were the best I have ever seen, but they took their time and carefully fixed my car.

I can say less for the doctors, mechanics and any other in the US. How many times have you encountered people that just did subpar workmanship? Doctors seems to be a prime candidate that falls in this category. How many times have you seen a doctor satisfied with mediocrity and was careless in their diagnosis? Art, eric, and I can attest to that. My nose problem is chronic, because the doctor just wasn't careful enough to perfect the operation. There are plenty of undisciplined lazy mechanics as well.

Bottomline, I guess it's not the country or the technology, it's just the people and who you choose to deal with. Choose meticulous people.

Johnny