Sunday, September 28, 2003

Games Mayhem

Hey Enron, glad to hear you like the secret plan! The truth is Aeryk doesn't read so good, so when I call him up to read the news to him, as I do nightly, I'll just skip that part.

In regards to D&D, if I can get a commitment from all the OGs that they want to do this, I'll run it. I've had the next little piece of the adventure planned out forever and it would be great to do it since everyone is in town. BUT, if not everybody is up for it (be honest, folks), then I'll plan on running something else, a one-shot of some sort.

I've also got one unrelated supar-sekrit plan which I will withhold until a later date.

San Diego

I was in San Diego today. While I was there, I went to two notable places. Notable place 1 was a chicken pie restaurant called "Chicken Pie Shop." Not sure what area it's in, but it was on El Cajon and Utah off the 805. The chicken pie I had there was the fucking shit. Flaky and gravy-y without being overly heavy. If you like chicken pies, and you like eating chicken pies in San Diego, then you gotta try this place. Note: the chicken pie cost, I believe, $2.80, which at that rate it's cost-effective to actually fly down there for lunch.

Notable place 2 was that ancient land of dreams and desire, Game Empire. Yes, I looked it up in its new location. Still a cool place. Nothing really grabbed my eye, but I couldn't leave without getting a little something, so I picked up a starter of the D&D minis. As a means for acquiring D&D miniatures, this is bunk. But I've been looking at the skirmish rules, and... not bad. The rules are pretty similar to Chainmail, except the game is assumed to take place on a grid map and in a dungeon setting. Instead of outdoorsy terrain cards you get dungeon room terrain cards. There are more walls and corridors, so maneuvering is more important.

The biggest change seems to be that the command rules have been simplified. In Chainmail, each commander had a number of command points which he could use to issue special effects to his units. In D&D Minis, there are no command points, but instead each commander has a special effect which applies to all friendly models within 6 squares. A simplification, but really too bad. The stat cards are virtually the same, the point values seem to be in line. I think conversion would be easy.

Of course, I just looked at my Chainmail minis and they look amazing, whereas these plastic minis are pretty average. Good for plastic, but I dunno. I think I want to play Chainmail again!

UPDATE: Aeryk. Sorry about your accident. That fucking sucks....
Ja-El: What the hell are you smoking, riding a motorcycle?!?? Stastically, almost everybody who rides a motorcycle gets in an accident their first year. And almost everybody on the Action Team has gotten into an accident in the last year! You should leave such things to Professor Motorbike, or at the very least, be careful as hell.
Ryan: Happy Smurfday!