Wednesday, June 25, 2014

| Tits & Robots

I'm pretty happy with Relic Knights! The plastic is the same that Privateer uses. I'd say it's a grade above Mantic, but definitely nowhere near the hard plastic used in the GW kits. (Or the new Malifaux kits, or the frankly insane-looking KD:M kits.) It's pretty soft. The quality is pretty good except when you get into really fine, intricate detailing or very small parts. Then you miss metal or better quality plastic. I think this is mainly true with the Relic Knights themselves (the giant-robot-riding chicks and dudes). Wish they'd stuck with the resin/metal for those ones.

I'm getting in a game against enr0n on Friday. Fly up! Cayucos II 2014! We are playing in his office building after work so please wear a suit and tie. If housekeeping comes by you may have to wake up and pretend you're working.

Pretty pumped for Doomtown. I'm looking forward to reliving the glory days of '98 when we were all playing it, less so to reliving the inevitable decline of '00-'01 when nobody was around who'd play and in desperation I played it at the home of a Baptist preacher who told me it was a little bit evil to play the Whateleys.

There are a variety of articles on the tweaks to the game -- they're trying to discourage some of the broken/annoying strategies like stacking your deck with just one or two values of cards and heavy turtling. Shootouts are slightly less deadly and seemingly more frequent, and out-of-town deeds (ie strikes) have been generally nerfed to keep the action more in-town. Also, the fiddly bullshit that was card memory is gone (basically, buffs/debuffs on dudes and deeds being permanent even when those cards left and later returned to play). However, the Whateleys have been replaced by evil circus clowns and this makes me slightly sad. I hereby dub this faction the Juggalos. Now, I am happy again!

BTW, the rules are out and the full set of cards can be downloaded in pdf format (links not provided).

I am slightly pissy about the seeming impossibility of getting a deluxe set because I would buy one in an instant.

Also thanks for the well wishes, my dad's doing lots better. Mainly eager to get the tubes and crap out and get out of the hospital at this point.