Thursday, March 25, 2010

| yes

I've watched the mini-series and first four episodes. My take on it for most of the run was that it was a really well-made, good looking, tense and well-constructed show with unfortunately minimal buy-in from the ladyfriend. (She just doesn't really like sci-fi and fantasy stuff.) Too bad because I don't really watch long TV series unless she's willing to watch too (wh-psh).

(ps congrats on the hot date Rude)

Actually though the last episode of the first disc showed some promise in terms of feminine appeal. It was the episode that was mostly about Starbuck training the new pilots, and her shared baggage with Adama concerning his son and was generally all about emotions and feelings and shit. So, if there's more good stuff then I think I can see this thing through for the long haul.

In terms of spoilers, I don't know too much although I have a general idea of what the big "reveal" is in the final episode (I don't see this as really messing up the show though since my understanding is pretty vague). (Also I could have misunderstood. I thought I'd heard that a particular character in The Wire died at the end of the series, and he made it through totally unscathed. Unless he was killed in a shocking post-credits twist that I didn't watch or something.)

I also know from playing the boardgame that either nobody, or everybody will ultimately turn out to be a Cylon.

Here's are my general thoughts so far:

- I thought there were shower scenes in this show? Not even one yet.
- The way they shoot Starbuck in the viper, it looks like she has a pig nose.
- Adama sounds exactly like the Full Throttle guy. I hope there's an episode where for twenty minutes he continuously repeats "Mmm. No." and "I'm not puttin' my lips on that."
- Edward James Olmos does a lot in this show to undo the damage to his reputation caused by "American Family" (seriously, the worst show I've ever seen, and I had to watch it a bunch of times when I was doing DVD QA).
- The interactions between Baltar and the lady in red were cool/creepy the first time but got annoying quick. Please tell me this ends at some point soon.
- I was disappointed when the dude they marooned at the outpost at the end of the mini-series turned out to really be a Cylon. It absolved Baltar of being a rat bastard.
- The ladyfriend has pointed out that Boomer is a good example of why you just shouldn't trust Koreans.
- The episode 33 was really tense and awesome.
- Good show!

Time for court.