Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Those cat pictures really suck you in, man. I think I looked at them for like an hour at work. The music in that one slideshow is driving me crazy, because it's so familiar -- what the heck is that from!?

Stupidest trip home on the train today ever. There are six train lines: J, K, L, M, N, and T. All are travelled more or less equally except that the train I needed to take, the N, is usually the most packed.

I waited slightly over twenty minutes on the platform and the trains came in this order: J. L. J. L. T. J. J. L. J. L. L. T. J. L. J. L. T. I am not kidding. Finally an N came along and it was the most packed train I've ever seen. They are generally shoulder-to-shoulder in rush hour by the third stop or so but there were enough people to pack the car like sardines within instants of it opening at the first stop. Then the Muni driver, who was the smuggest-sounding motherfucker I've ever heard on that bastard of a train system, had himself a real good time making a bunch of jokes about squeezing in real tight and making more room in this annoyingly cheerful, sing-songy way. It was like being on a train driven by Tom Bombadil.

Once we got out of the tunnels a crazy homeless guy started doing his best Tom Waits impersonation, singing songs in a bizarre raspy voice. I didn't really catch the lyrics but there was one line involving "dragons" and another involving "the black abyss." I started thinking holy shit, what if this guy is actually some kind of fucking crazy prophet or something? It definitely could have been some sort of appendix or errata to Revelation.

Oh and then the jackass driving the Muni cheerfully announced that the train would be stopping at 19th Ave, which is only the halfway point on the route. Boy did everybody look steamed about that. Hopefully after everybody got off the train the driver drove the train off a cliff and into a fiery chasm while being all fucking jolly about it.

Man, now that I think about it, it was actually sort of an awesome Muni ride.