Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Musings, vol. XI

- Rooday: I enjoy the body surfing right now for a few reasons, some of which you pointed out. 1)I can throw some fins in my bike basket, hit the beach, and head home with no hassle of parking, or lugging around equipment. 2) I like my sexy body in the water with no board under me. 3) You can catch and ride waves that are impossible with a board, like massive closeout barrels (which is going on right now). I think that body surfing is the most fun I have in the ocean, ever. So good. Do it!

- jR0n: The difference between Epic and WM are many, yet strangely, essentially they are the same insofar as they are both about maneuvering and killing you opponent with lots of dice. Epic used to be about firepower and jerky tricks using special rules for the units to defeat your foes. Now there is a little more subtlety, more maneuver (crossfires, pinning, etc.), and less special rules, I think. Warmaster was great because right from the start, there was very little rule manipulation due to special rules and magic items and such.

I suppose it is which floats your boat more: swords and sorcery or tanks and guns? Either way, they make me feel like I am playing everything I like/liked about the GW universe, without the mega expense and without the broken, abused rules and special item/character bullshit.

As has been stated MANY times before, JP was the master of rules exploitation in both Epic and Warhammer Fantasy Battle. I will only utter the words, "Imperial Guard Leviathan" and "Knights Panther", but say no more...

- No takers on the podcast?

- I D/L'd The Dunwich Horror and Call of Cthulhu from Audible a few weeks back. I listed to the DH, and it is really good! The reader is perfect for the role. Good stuff, I will report back when I hea CoC!