Saturday, January 28, 2006

D&D Online

So, for $10 I purchased the pre-order for DDOL. This allows me to play the public beta for 10 days, and if I get the full game I get a +1AC amulet. Whatever. I got it for the beta. Anyway, I started playing it 2 days ago, and I am lukewarm to the whole thing.

This is coming from WoW, so I am seeing things through WoW colored lenses. Anyhoo, the graphics are proto-realistic, a la Everquest II, and they are also a little bit on the sloppy side. This might be due to the betaness of it all, but, it feels and plays a little herky-jerky. Also, I am used to the cartoony, bold, bright colors of WoW. DDOL is a much more drab take on the fantasy genre. It's also based in Eberron, which might have something to do with the look and feel of the game.

The main difference between WoW and DDOL so far as I can tell, is there are no level grinding, and no PvP, which is nice. No longer are you forced to commit genocide on Troggs or Rabid Thistlefur Bears, just 'cause. All quests are mission/quest based. So, go here, explore the dungeon, fulfill these requirements, leave dungeon, talk to contact, get XP and items. PvP can go to hell. I have been know to dabble, but only when the Horde get all jerky and attack me... Glad to not have to worry about it.

As far as the dungeons/quests go, they are much more player intensive. What I mean by that is, there is a lot more interaction with the environment, and a lot more exploration necessary. Sure, there are levers to pull that open doors, and whatnot, but it feels more open ended. There are traps, and things spot and listen for, which the game "rolls" for automatically, which is a nice touch.

On the downside, again this could be due to the betaness of it all, but some of the quests are a bit too tough/unbalanced to solo, which encourages party formation. Not so great for Denis and I, the anti-groupers in WoW, but very D&D feeling in and of itself.

Strangely, the best part of the game, which really makes it feel weird, is the "DM" voiceover in certain parts of dungeons. "As you decend the stairs, you hear what sounds like bone scraping on stone." It's a nice touch, that makes the game feel like a D&D game should feel, and distances itself from being a MMORPG at the same time.

It is the game that Neverwinter Nights should have been. I can see getting together with the old gaming group, and playing this game, like we were trying to play NWN. Since there is no level grinding, only quests, it perfectly lends itself for D&D party group play.

Anyway, I've babbled too much. I'm going to go play Three Dragon Ante with Leslie now, the Official D&D Card Game (TM)! It's actually a really fun game!

More from your favorite windbag later!