Thursday, September 29, 2005

Isane Ramblings

Yee-haw, Serenity! I'm fired up. I have tickets all bought and ready to go for tomorrow night. I am even looking forward to seeing the movie with terrifying, raving Whedonites. My only regret is that I wanted to make sure I had tickets and so I had to buy them online through that goddamn, fucking Fandango site with their stupid fucking paper bag puppets that waste hours of my time before every movie. But I think I've been down this road many times before so I'll skip it this time. Except to say, fuck you, puppets.

But yeah, movie, yay!

I worked at a wireless technology/entertainment trade show yesterday for my company. I was demoing a game but most people were more interested in coming up to me and asking questions that I had no idea how to answer. In a typical exchange I would say, "Would you like to demo this game? We're giving away prizes?" Then the guy I was talking to would say: "No! I would like some information on the wireless space you inhabit and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah." To which I would respond, "If you get a high score in my game, you can win an American Express Gift Certificate!" At which point they would sort of walk away. Keep in mind that my day to day job duties involve the guy who's doing everything to get the game put together coming up to me and saying, "How is my game coming along?" to which I reply "Your game is a fucking piece of shit, and is full of big fucking bugs, be ashamed." So the barrage of alien questions was sort of overwhelming, but also somewhat inspirational in that I realized how little idea I have what actually goes on behind the scenes with cell phone games. I am desirous of learning more!

Some other things I noticed were, there were more jugs (as in: the kind in Juggs magazine) around. I think this is because unlike E3 where everything is flashy flashy and the games sell themselves, here you are walking around looking at your ten millionth booth that sells some God damn phone faceplates, or that perhaps offers some arbitary software solution that kinda sucks actually, and by God you need to occasionally need to look at some tits to get by. At least that's what the guy interested in leveraging IP and ad content for GM told me. "You know how sometimes you're at a bar and the breasts are popping out at you? You say, 'If they had eyes, I'd wink at 'em!' You know what I'm talking about? I've been married twenty years!" That encounter ended awkwardly, abruptly, and unsatisfyingly, as actually did most of my encounters at the show and, in fact, just like this post!