Thursday, August 18, 2005

Why I Love Hockey

Why ESPN didn't pickup the NHL TV contract: In the NHL's place, ESPN filled the air with original programming, like "Bowling Night" and "Stump The Schwab." Programs like these drew ratings that were at least comparable to the number of people watching NHL games.

Ouch.

However, I think OLN is probably one of the best moves the NHL could make right now. Only 63million homes get OLN, compared to 90million for ESPN and 89million for the Deuce, which is bad, but I think since OLN is trying to be a competitor with ESPN, they will be eager to make a name for themselves and really support hockey like ESPN refused to. I think there will be more diverse games to watch, and less Detroit vs. Colorado vs. New Jersey vs. Dallas games. Not to mention I am sick as all fuck of Gary Thorne and Bill Clement. Sadly, I don't know where that leaves Barry Melrose or Buccigrass. I think OLN should hire Bucci, Melrose and Don Cherry and give them their own NHL tonight show that is at least an hour long everynight of the week, maybe 2 on weekends, and them them be themselves on air. I think it would be a tremendous show to watch. Lots of insight and lots of entertainment!

I am strangely excited about this "step down". I think it always darkest before the dawn.