Saturday, May 01, 2004

Sion's, Servitude, Computer Chastity and turning 30


Good luck with the deal Rudy, eating something is always better than nothing, and it's a first step into another world! Wish I could meet up with you all at Sion's to celebrate, or to just drink a few bevi's. Here, I finished my last research book yesterday - which of course doens't really mean the research is over, but does mean it's virtually over! Now to convert those 70,000 words of notes into about 40,000 words of flowing academic bullshit, and I'll nearly be out of here. Not to say that Cambridge hasn't been great, but I'm getting that overwhelming feeling that it's time to go, time to come home, or something like that. Being here has sort of been like getting an extended undergraduate career, but I'm feeling like it's time to grow up again.

As for computer game chastity, I have to concur that it is the time lost to them that is the true cost... simple economics really, but also a scathing commentary on the world today - if losing time to computer games involves losing our chastity, doesn't that mean we were all UNDERAGE at the time. Perhaps computer games should be restricted to those over the age of consent!

So, DND is 30. We're all nearly there too, as I am constantly reminded by rowing with a bunch of 18-24 year olds. Any of you feeling mildly wigged out about this? I am in deep rebellion, refusing to believe that it's true, but living with the dawning horror of my own age. Strange but true. I think it will be better once I'm in the 'real' world again.


Myke