Tuesday, December 30, 2003

Hard Drive Enclosure: The Vengeance

So sometimes I do work for this lady with a rickety old Windows ME machine. It's a pretty important computer because she runs her business off it. (She runs a Nigerian spam fraud ring.) Well, a few days ago the thing totally crapped out and now it crashes every time you go to the desktop, even in Safe Mode. I can only boot into DOS. Tried reinstalling ME, it freezes up at 80%. Her recovery discs won't work because they are Windows 98 (she later used an Upgrade disc). When she got the computer she bought one of those service plans that everybody tells you aren't worth the money. Guess what? They aren't worth the money.

ME: So the lady needs to fix the machine but keep her data.
CUSTOMER SERVICE GUY: Oh, we can fix the machine, but her data will DIE!!

So I guess the next step is reformat and start over. So I guess I have the following options to transfer her data:

1. Get the DOS drivers for her Zip 100 drive and enough Zip discs to store ~6 gigs of data.
2. Set up some kind of FTP between her DOS machine and my Mac. What teh fuck. I'm researching this but am not sure this is going to be an easy solution.
3. Take her hard drive somewheres with a CD burner and burn all teh shits.
4. The Aaron supersolution: Buy a hard drive enclosure, put her hard drive in it, and transfer her sh1t to my computer using supar-fast f1r3w1r3!11!.

I'm trying to figure out a way to do #2 (har, har) and will probably harangue my new alter ego Elrock to see if there's an EZ-R way to do it. #3 is not a great option because most people I know with CD burners are either out of town or their burner doesn't work. (Including me.) Also I want to finish this shit by late afternoon and not worry about it anymore and 3 would add a lot of time to the process. So I'm leaning towards #4 again.

That's my story!!!1