Sunday, November 10, 2002

The Sting Ring is the Last Thing You Will See

Yeah, I wanted to go to JP's BYOEA fiesta (bring your own easels and alcohol) but four-thirty came and the weather was shit and I just didn't feel like getting on the freeway. So instead I bought a shitload of books (Seven Pillars of Wisdom T.E. Lawrence, which inspired Lawrence of Arabia, a book of rules on Go whose first edition was written in 1934 and in which the author writes, vis a vis Japan, that "any nation which plays this game is one to watch out for, an Elmore Leonard book just 'cause I've never read him, a swimsuit magazine, and a copy of Official Xbox Magazine), then I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond, then I went and had a daiquiri, then I saw the Ring and got the willies scared out of me.

The last time I got that panicky at a movie was at In the Mouth of Madness. I'm not saying this is either better or worse than that movie, but it is good and there are a couple of images in the Ring that are right up there with "kid on bike."

Although I did think that probably there was some weird art orgy going on at the party, did I miss out on that?