Friday, November 23, 2012

| Turkeh Brine!

Rood:

I got home from Thanksgiving at Michelle's aunt and uncle's place a little while ago and did up my brine. I probably should have made it earlier today before we left so I didn't have to wait for it to cool down so long, lol. I put ice packs in ziploc bags and floated those around in my brine to cool it down.

Like you, I started off with the Alton Brown standard and then went from there over the last few years. I now use apple juice instead of water in the brine. Gives it a nice flavr. Also put in about 1/3 to 1/2 a bottle of white wine. Garlic, Rosemary, Thyme, Onion Powder. Comes out so much better than regular ole bird.

Something else to consider using if you don't already is an oven bag. That shit is EASY MODE. Cooks a lot faster and really very evenly.

Only bummer about brining is you can't really use the turkey drippings (too salty). But I remedy that by cooking up a batch of stock while the bird cooks in the oven, using the giblets and neck. That home made stock is GOLD for making mashed potatoes and dressing.

We're doing our surplus Turkey Day tomorrow and inviting some friends and family over. Should be a good time. :D

Ryan: You. Dumb. Bastard. lolol, I keed. I keed. Getting married was the best decision I ever made :D Hard to believe I'm creeping up on 17 years with Michelle. That doesn't even seem like a real number. Crazy.