Saturday, July 02, 2011

| save vs sick

Man, I got the gnarliest cold last night while at work. I mean, went to work perfectly fine and over the course of 8 hours or so I totally succumb to the nastiest head cold :( I guess I would have woken sick and this time just got to experience it happen live. SUCKS! I had to cancel my meetup with your Pasadena group Jael! I hope they don't think I'm a flake.

Speaking of 4e, I'm talking to a D&D group out in Burbank (near my gf/vandams house) that I might joined for Wed at NOON games! Man, who plays D&D at a comic book store at NOON in the middle of the week? ME, maybe! The wed game is going to be Dark Sun with 4e rules and maybe some Gamma World :) The DM seems pretty hardcore and runs like 5-6 games a week at all these different places (apparently there's a lot of gaming at comic book stores in the valley that I was never aware of.) Chatted with him and he seemed nice so gonna check it out. Have no exp with 4e other than maybe the stripped down version in the Ravenloft/Ashardalon games.

On the game Rudicus Maximunt: I don't think there should be a board. I thought of that too, but I think for it to work and be quick, the less items outside of cards the better. While sure, it could be fun to move a mini around a grid, I think that's another level of play we don't need to meddle in. Let's keep it simple and abstract, at least in that respect.

If we were to "direct" players to have a particular setup at the table, I pictured maybe an octagon with players little pyramids of cards in front of them, and in the center of that octagon could be draw decks representing weapons, traps, or whatever else is in the arena "space". But that's already probably over thinking things other than "in the center of the table are the draw piles", period.

Like J's idea about maybe hidden factions and the 3 tiers to a character/levels/years. One thing I liked about the D&D Mini's games was that you could flip the character card over to have the level 2 version of the same dude, with upgraded stats. Back to Bang, I liked their multiple characters with different strengths and weaknesses. For this one I imagine different colorful arena characters, maybe even straddling the fantasy line a little - maybe more on the Spartacus side than Lord of the Rings.

REQUIRED VIEWING: Season 1 of Spartacus. So good. Super campy but it just got really good by the 4th or 5th episode and it has tons of these cartoony/gruesome/gnarly gladiator fights. There's an episode called "Thing in the Pit" which was amazing! Netflix only has episodes 5-10 on streaming, Pit is ep 4 :(

Quick synapsis: Sparty needs to make some dough for his boss so he gets taken to the "pits of the underworld" which are the SUPER skeezy underground death fights. There you got your gnarly Conan/Mad Max freaks fighting to the death. The fights have to draw bones to find out what weapon they get. It's bad ass!

Also, another classic gnar-gnar gladiator scene was from the 2nd season of Rome.
The 13th!!!!

Ugh, gonna take some nyquil and knock the F out. Work 3 more nights :(

Steam sale has some jams today like:
Magica - $3.39 (let's do it! 4 player hi-jinx!)
Plants vs Zombs - $3.39 (who doesn't have it tho)
And some other jams.

Ok, night :(