Wednesday, July 22, 2009

| Tough-Ass Game

That game was rough. Good rough, but still rough.

I think I had a dead beastman in turn two, and shortly after than, another two guys KO'd with OOB pushes. Most of the game I was playing with 8 players, but thankfully none of my meatwalls (Chaos Warriors) were knocked out. And seriously, once you have an outnumbered situation with Orcs with Trolls, you are lucky to have more than one guy standing at the start of your turn.

I played pretty conservatively at first, not wanting to F up any dodge rolls and was immediately dismantled by Johnny taking chances at the right times and just killing me. My first drive was foiled with an OOB push that would not be possible had Johnny not been a bit balsy and made some dodges and GFI's, which opened my eyes a bit and made me realize I needed to take those same chances to beat that sonovabitch.

It looked bad when that ball was thrown in behind the Orc lines, in what seemed like a pretty protected location in running distance of a thrower. Almost all my guys were shifted to one side of the pitch, and the throw in reversed everything. I pieced together a rush at the ball from some broken bodies that were on the ground nearby, and ended up recovering the ball, only to lose it again, only to recover it again and run it in for the first TD of the game.

The rest of the game went pretty much the same: throw together a defense and a plan based on what players I had still standing, not surrounded, and not KO'd or dead. I did JUST enough to slow the Orcs down to one TD at the start of the second half.

My second TD was a combination of tying up the Orc heavies away from the ball, punching JUST enough of a hole in the defence to sneak some guys up field, and then capitalizing on an unlikely failed blitz on the ballcarrier. It was just enough to dodge around the wall infront of me, lock the wall down from behind, and protect the carrier upfield.

Orcs almost tied it up at the end of the game by spreading out a balanced attack in the last turn with tons of guys downfield and some nice pass protection for the thrower. I tried rushing the thrower to nip it in the bud, but couldn't get a hand on him, and I thought I had tied up all the receivers. One receiver dodged out, blitzed the guy covering the other one, and *BAM*, a free receiver in striking distance to the goal. The thrower moved into passing position, chucks the ball, and out of nowhere a Chaos Warrior throws his meaty fist in the air and INTERCEPTS THE BALL on a 6+ roll!

Great game!