Monday, January 22, 2007

Thanks O-Rugs and E-ron for the suggestions on the video cards. Since there are some advantages to a professional card and a gamer card would it be advisable to get one of each? Obviously this is all still contingent on STFU being willing to pay, but a high tech setup was a component of my hire negotiations so I should be able to get something nice.

Neither of you will know the answer to this probably, but do you think one or the other will help with any other kinds of numerical crunching? For instance I use a type of software called GIS (Geographical Information Systems) and one of the things that I do is essentially ray-tracing but not in a true 3D environment. As far as I understand it, it's simply number crunching. I'm still not clear on what graphics cards do... but I assume it's simply the 'graphics' end of things that they assist in.

I'm not planning on making films (but you never know...), but I probably will be doing a number of 3D stills with lighting. Maybe therefore the professional card ain't worth it? Since I won't be getting another rig for a while out of my job, I should probably shoot for more than I think I'll need for the next few years too.

More advice? I really appreciate the help.

Edit: Why can't I get this to post?