Thursday, December 30, 2004

Wait, I told that wrong..


On Party Poker, the main problem you have to deal with is the rake and patience. Even if you play the odds correctly you will only win about 1BB per hour and that's if you're really, really good unless you're playing against totally incompetent opponents anyway. The only way to reliably make money is to "grind it out".. otherwise it's more or less a crap shoot gamble. Unfortunately, that means that it takes 6-8 hours a day to make any money and then only if you can afford to risk playing at the mid-to-high limit stakes tables when it's strongly recommended that you hold at least 300BB to play at a given level so you can ride out the highs and the lows in your statistical progression through life as a poker player.

Playing no-limit is likely to win a lot more money but equally as likely to lose a lot more money. It's almost a completely different game from limit poker.

I played on PP for a few months at the low-limit stuff and did ok, but we're talking about building up a small, small bankroll of about $50 to $150 in a little over a month which isn't exactly ruling the world. I just don't have the patience or inclination to sit there and grind it out on 2-3 simultaneous tables to make any money at it. I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather play for fun once in a while and win or lose as I go. So, I guess that makes me a fish.. but at least a fish with a few teeth.. hehe..