Sunday, March 28, 2004

Naomi Newman.... Traveling Jewish theatre

okay... first off, one-woman shows are amazing! Standing up on stage by yourself for an hour and a half in front of a pact audience can be truly intimidating for the actor, I assume! That was the first one woman show I have ever been to and I will be looking for more in the future. I guess theoretically it could be a one man show too, not to be confused with "the man show". wokka wokka.

The actor and the show itself had something to more to be desired though. The play is called "fall down and get up" and is about the semi biographical - perspective of Naomi Newman, from her teenage to her adult years as a jewish girl. I didn't quite understand a lot of the yiddish folk songs she sang in the beginning and the middle, which made me wish I did. Some of the characters were't quite as believable, especially when she played a negro from the south. Overall it was okay, the John smidt trouffles during intermission saved the day! =D

back to mundane things