Monday, February 10, 2014

| Postmortem

I think we identified some of the hiccups we'll address (it sounds very formal) for next years ManCon - less professional level video and interviews, less cook time in the kitchen, and to SOME extent less game jam. While awesome, I think they are/were time-sinks that kinda effed up the gaming jam.  NOT TO SAY I wish we didn't shoot interviews or eat food or work on TPK, but I think combined they took a lot of time away from gaming, which added to our need for incessant catching up and jibber jabber, meant we didn't get as much to the table as we could have.  NOTE:  Next year if we use the same location,  I will try and bring another gaming table so facilitate two games at once where the second game is not a back/knee breaker at the coffee table.  My leisure and gaming time at Cayucos in summary:

CAH: AT expansion was great!

Robinson Crusoe: I enjoyed having the whole group die the same night from starvation/exposure/viper wounds/animal attacks, and agree it would have been nice to get to the table at least once again.

Formula D: I think that's the first time I've won that game and only barely eeked out the win against Mototbyke and Enron, and mind you Enron started in LAST PLACE at the starting line...

Legendary x2:  I really like this game and now that I have a few plays under my belt with the expansions, I definitely see how mixing the base set heroes that are more straight forward with a few expansion heroes that are more nuanced and complex would make for a better game :)  Either way, I liked getting our asses handed to us both games.

Diskwars:  Sad it didn't get more than a half-full teaching game.  It plays so quick, we could have knocked a bunch out but it would have taken up the whole main table so no one else could play anything. (See note above re: second table)

Pathfinder:  Even through we ended the game on the LAST turn after failing to end it the previous turn and then had a 3 in 4 change of losing the game simply based on not pulling the one card we needed, which should have been a really exciting event, it still was sort of meh.  Now that everyone knows the rules and has a character, maybe subsequent plays would be a little bit more fun, more smooth, and generally more enjoyable but who knows.

Kingdom Builder:  Always a great time.

Coup x2 :  Waaaaay better than the Resistance, IMHO.  Faster, and I like the little odds-based, logic/risk puzzles that play themselves out as the game progressed.  I'd doo eet again!

Tsuro: Not at all what I thought that game was.  DaveDefeat and Enron certain made for some added laffs, but overall it was a fun, fast game.

Video Interview:  Awkward.  "I was 14 and was sleeping with guys in their 20's"

Frisbee:  Fun!

TPK:  Fun to tinker with an idea and have some input from everyone, though I think I was feeling pressure to produce something by the end of the con because of the Game Jam idea...  I sat down and made some example rolling charts and it was terrible!  Clearly, the conversion from idea to actual is going to take some more effort :)