Monday, November 12, 2012

| Okay, can we talk about Star Citizen for a minute?

There hasn't been a game like this that has sparked my imagination or interest since perhaps WWII Online. The sheer magnitude / scope of what they hope to accomplish combined with WHO (the dude that did the whole WING COMMANDER series!!!) is doing the development and HOW (crowd sourcing to avoid dumbing-down by studios) they are going about it (PC ONLY - HARD CORE SPACE COMBAT, BITCHES!) is just the stuff of legend.

The SCOPE of the universe is just amazing. Persistence. But with instances. Also, the single-player version can be played offline or you can invite friends to join you on co-op style missions, and you basically earn pay / rewards for joining in on a campaign and winning.

Meanwhile, back in the "real" universe, you can play as a merchant, soldier, police officer, bounty hunter, trader, pirate or any combination of the above.

So, they're doing a Kickstarter campaign and have absolutely crushed their minimum goals and are adding content left and right (star systems, ships, etc).

I think I'm going to throw down for one of the pledge ships or really go crazy and get more than one. The great part about the pledge ships is that they come fully insured, so they are replaced if they get blowed up. lol

The BIG question then is... fighter/interceptor or more of a research / merchant vessel OR.. go nuts and get the Millenium Falcon style ship.

MAN, I DUNNO and it's killing me, lol. I'm thinking I'll probably be plopping down for a Freelancer ship so I can do a bit of everything (and the customization bays / slots make it so you can really do a lot of interesting things with it). I MIGHT just lose my mind and grab a Constellation class ship (more like the Falcon-sized ship) that you can really haul some cargo with, and still be able to hold your own against fighters, etc.